The Ashram is called the Universal Peace Centre.
Where is the Ashram?
The Universal Peace Centre is located in Lachhipur village, Paschim Medinipur district, Harinagar, in West Bengal India, 140 km West from Kolkata. We kindly ask you to read Ashram rules at the bottom of the page too. Thank you!
What is happening in the Ashram?
Those who are curious to learn Sun Meditation can come any morning or evening to learn Sunyoga level I.
Most time of the year, especially during winter season, we have people in the Ashram that can give Acupressure treatment, and it is given for free. Acupressure has the potential to cure any disease and if you like to get benefit contact the ashram to see if we can help.
The Ashram has morning and evening Aarti every day and visitors who are interested are welcome to join. The morning Aarati starts around 04:15am-5:15am depending of time of the year and evening Aarti from 5pm-5:30pm.
Who is the Ashram for?
We are careful having a good atmosphere in the ashram and therefore we require everyone that want to stay in the ashram to have completed the primary or basic course in Sunyoga (level II and III). Then you are eligible to stay for two weeks. After the two weeks a reevaluation is taken place to determine if you can prolong your stay. If you have been following the Ashram rules and done the group meditations and Pujas, the Ashram authority will grant you more time in the Ashram. If you have completed the advanced course in Sunyoga (level IV), you are allowed to stay in the Ashram for a longer period.
What is an Ashram?
See video interview of Sunyogi about the Universal Peace Centre
When to come?
Winter: mid November – mid February. Dry, cool/cold nights, pleasant warm days. It is the Ashram’s busiest time.
Spring: mid February – early June. Hot during the day, with lovely warm evenings.
Monsoon: early June – early October (can last longer). Rains often, but sunshine is also present during this season. Climate is warm and humid. This is a quieter time to visit the Ashram. Bring a raincoat, umbrella and if possible waterproof shoes or small rubber boots.
Post-Monsoon: early October – early November. A little bit of rain but the climate is still warm.
1. Car/Taxi Details
If you wish to book a cab (taxi) from / to the Ashram, you will need to request some days before. The price is 5000 Rupee for single way. Below is the picture of the Swapan, the driver of the Ashram. Sometimes it can be another driver.
There is WiFi connection available to all staying in the Ashram. The use of WiFi is free of cost.
3. Sim Card
If you want to buy a new sim card, it would cost approximately 300/- INR (which equals US$4 or 3.75€) including talk time. You can buy it from nearby village / city of Radhanagar (5 km from the Ashram). Easiest way to get a sim card is to buy it on your arrival at the airport.
4. Daily Shopping
To shop for basic things like shampoo or fruits etc, you can go to the local market not too far away.
5. Money Exchange
Money exchange is possible only at the exchange offices or in some banks in Kolkata city. It is best you have made your exchanges before you come to the Ashram.
6. Books by Umasankar Sunyogi
Two books written by Umasankar Sunyogi are for the moment only available online:
– Autobiography of Sunyogi ebook you find here Kobo
– Essence of Sunyoga can for now only be bought as an ebook on Amazon
7. Ashram Expenses
Daily food expenses for 10 people are approximately 1000/- INR (which equals US$17.07 or 12.52€). Electricity, water, car and Ashram maintenance cost around 25,000/- INR (which equals US$426.95 or 313.12€) per month. The Ashram also employs 4 maintenance workers.
Due to limited accommodation capacity, the amount of people coming in groups to the Ashram is limited, so please contact the Ashram office to check if there are enough free rooms for proper accommodation.
Ashram Rules and Instructions, for the Universal Peace Center:
1) Without filling any details on the entry form, no visitor is allowed in the Ashram.
2) For any person who is going to stay more than one day at the Ashram, you are required to fill in the entry form and reception book.
3) During your stay in the Ashram, please report to Ashram authorities before leaving the Ashram or going out for any purpose.
4) The Ashram has full authority to make any decisions regarding your stay at the Ashram.
5) During your stay at the Ashram, you must attend morning & evening Aarati (Prayer) and morning Sun Meditation.
6) Please take your breakfast, lunch and dinner according to the Ashram schedule.
7) The Ashram will not be responsible for any personal belongings, so please keep your belongings at a safe place.
8) Men and women are advised to respect the monastic tradition by not expressing affection for one another in the Ashram.
9) It is not allowed for men and women to stay together after 10:00 p.m.
10) It is advised to wear modest clothing such as full skirts, long pants and loose clothing. Wearing of Indian clothing is also appropriate.
11) Any misbehavior can lead you to vacate the ashram based on the decision made by the authorities at the Ashram.
12) If anything is broken or not working, please bring it to notice of the Ashram authority.
13) Please DO NOT trust anybody except Ashram residents.
14) If you are asked to make any kind of money payment, please bring it to the notice of the Ashram authority.
15) Throw all organic and non-organic waste in the respective rubbish bins.
16) No smoking or drinking is allowed at the Ashram.
17) Keep silence in the Ashram. No arguments are allowed in the Ashram.
18) Please make sure that you ask for a receipt after donation.
19) The Ashram is your property, so please keep it clean. Please make sure that you clean your bathroom / toilet after use, and also that your room is kept tidy.